Re: About tests 37-41 (headers)

From: Ben Caldwell <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:57:48 -0600
To: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
CC: jim@jimthatcher.com, "'Loretta Guarino Reid'" <lguarino@adobe.com>, "'Gregg Vanderheiden'" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'Vicente Luque Centeno'" <vlc@it.uc3m.es>, "'WCAG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Chris Ridpath wrote:

> These tests were discussed last year but a consensus was not reached. A
> search of the archived postings for this list will reveal the discussions.
>
> There were several arguments for allowing the skipping of header levels
> including Eric Myer's article at:
> http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2004/07/21/pick-a-heading/
>
> Jim Thatcher's argument below is also convincing for allowing the
> skipping of header levels.
>
> Ben - Could you describe your navigational bar example?

The example I had raised was exactly the one referenced above (Eric
Meyer's article). The problem we have with HTML as it exists today is
that there are logical heading levels for overall site design as well as
within documents and I'm not convinced that essentially requiring that
authors not include headings within navigation.

Hope that helps,

-Ben

--
Ben Caldwell | <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>