Re: Longdesc (was Re: BIG ISSUE -- re Delivery Units)

From: 'Jason White' <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:51:39 +1100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 05:42:05AM -0600, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Interesting question.  I would say that they were not intended to be
> rendered together, since that is the usual behavior.
>
> Do you see any guideline that would be affected by this?
1.1.1 in the case where the value of the ALT attribute alone doesn't provide
the same information as the image, but considered together with the resourced
which LONGDESC points to, the success criterion is satisfied. Thus, if
according to my example I make a conformance claim about a.html, and b.html
(to which LONGDESC refers) isn't part of the same Web unit, an evaluator can't
take it into account in assessing the conformance of a.html. I would have to
amend my conformance claim explicitly to include b.html.

I know this may seem pedantic, but that's how technical specifications are
applied, particularly when controversy arises.