RE: 3.2.4 edit?

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:14:16 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

>> Components that have the same functionality within content are identified consistently.

> Yes.  This sounds good.  Especially since the latest version said within a page or between pages.
> Oops.  We can only require that it be consistent within a page or within a set of pages.
> Not for all content.  How would you cover that aspect?

I am not understanding the problem.  Is not a "set of pages" (or a whole domain) what is being scoped in a conformance claim?  For the purposes of applying WCAG 2.0, how is this not effectively "all content"?  Can you give me a counter example of where it would be appropriate for an image to have one meaning on one part of a web site and a different purpose elsewhere on the site?