Re: CSS Parsed Unambiguously

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:44:23AM -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> I was saying that that would result in black text on a black background -
> something that no-one could read (except people with screen readers).
> Accessibility is about problems that people with disabilities have that
> others do not.

  For the record, I strongly disagree with that definition - but it's a
  different discussion.

> What we need are examples of things that really happen, (real accessibility
> problems happening on the web), that do not violate other SC we already
> have. (this one for example - if it weren't black on black but say black on
> dark blue) would violate our contrast SC.  Not at the same level - but the

  Ah, but here there is a problem. To say that "black on black" - and I have
  in my previous posting suggested a real world problem with CSS that can
  easily result in such a situation - is violating the contrast SC is,
  in my opinion, taking that SC far, too far.

  Black on black, for - say - a screen magnification user - is such a
  major problem that I couldn't defend saying it was a "low contrast"
  one.

  It /is/, however, a problem with syntactically incorrect CSS - and for
  that reason alone it seems to me a much sharper 4.1.1 should be in place;
  on requiring not merely "parsed unambiguously", but "syntactically
  correct".

  Surely it is important that the data formats sent to the UAs and ATs are
  correctly written, as a bare minimum of requirements?

  I suggest rephrasing 4.1.1 to:

    "4.1.1 Web units or authored components can be parsed unambiguously,
     yielding data structures in which relationships are also unambiguous,
     as well as conform to the constraints expressed in the specification,
     both syntactically and semantically, for the language in use to
     construct these web units or authored components."

--
 -       Tina Holmboe                           Greytower Technologies
       tina@greytower.net                      http://www.greytower.net