SC 1.3.2 and non-visited/visited links

From: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:00:07 +0200

Hi list,

SC 1.3.2  Any information that is conveyed by color is also visually
evident without color.

Visual browsers have presented non-visited and visited links in
different colours for a long time. Authors caring for usability have
adopted this feature and suggested different colours for non-visited and
visited links in their style sheets. SC 1.3.2 seems to indicate that
this is not sufficient. Does my web content fail this SC when I don't
change the default coulouring of links via CSS?

Or does SC 1.3.2 not apply here because "information that is conveyed by
color" is defined as "information presented in a manner that depends
entirely on the ability to perceive color" and the state of the link
could also be programmatically determined?

--
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)