Re: Common failures

From: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:33:28 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> If a technology is not supported by user agents including AT it should not
> be in a baseline -- and the content would not conform to WCAG 2.0.

But that leeds us to a problem I think Christophe already raised. Is
HTML supported by user agent including AT? How much of a technology has
to be implemented, so that I can list the technology in a baseline?

Can I list HTML 4 in my baseline and then use HTML technique H28
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/#H28>) although IE <= version 6 does
not know the abbr element?

Can I list XHTML 1 in my baseline when I know that some user agents
don't support the proper MIME type application/xhtml+xml, but only
support XHTML 1 via Appendix C?

Is the sufficiency of a technique dependent on the baseline _and_ the
support for technology features used in this specific technique in user
agents?
--
Johannes Koch
Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.