Common failures (was: Common failures and baseline)

From: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:42:48 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> Johannes Koch wrote:
> So the baseline has an influence on the "sufficiency" of a _technique_ to
> _pass_ a SC, but it has no influence on the "sufficiency" of a _failure_ to
> _fail_ a SC?

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

Let me rephrase my question. The WCAG WG lists some common failures with
references to the success criteria they are related to. Some author
writes content in a way described in one of the common failures. Does
this content fail the related success criteria? Are there any additional

Another point: I think the common failures are expected not to interfere
with sufficient techniques. So for any part of content and any success
criterion there cannot be a sufficient technique for which the testing
procedure results in true and a common failure for which the failure
condition applies.

In a reply to Tim Boland (May 8, 2006; Message-ID:
<002701c672a7$85b9d090$ee8cfea9@NC6000BAK>; Subject: RE: Technique
Designations) you wrote:

   If they use another technique, then the burden of proof is on them
   should someone ask. It is not a better or worse technique for meeting
   the success criterion. It is just not identified by the working group
   as a technique that is sufficient so it doesn't have that face

So if someone chooses a technique not listed as sufficient in the
"Understanding WCAG 2.0" document, but which he thinks to be sufficient,
the technique must not interfere with a listed common failure. Or the
other way round: If a tester creates a test methodology based on but
exceeding the listed sufficient techniques and common failures, and
creates a test procedure for content that he thinks would fail a success
criterion, this not-listed "common failure" must not interfere with a
listed sufficient technique.
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)