From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Vicente Luque Centeno
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:03 AM
To: Jim Thatcher
Cc: 'Loretta Guarino Reid'; 'Gregg Vanderheiden'; 'WCAG'
Subject: RE: Link Text SC's

Here is my "formalized" sugestion for calculating the "programmatically
associated" text of a link

If the link is inside a XPath variable like $a, then its text could be the
following XPath expression

normalize-space(concat($a/@title,$a//@alt,$a))

In other words, the title attribute of the link (if present) is
concatenated to any alt attribute of any element inside the link (at any
depth, if present) and concatenated to the link's text itself. Te result
should be passed to the normalize-space function in order to normalize
white spaces. A further step could consist on making this text case
insensitive, because blind users are case insensitive and "click here" is
the same than "CLICK HERE" for them.

So, the following Schematron expression formalizes any of 2.4.4 or 2.4.8.
Can anybody tell me which of 2.4.4 or 2.4.8? :-) It is also unclear to
me to distinguish between 2.4.4 and 2.4.8 without the help of a
formalized expression.

<rule context="a|area">
  <report test="not((//a|//area)[@href != current()/@href and
     normalize-space(concat(@title, .//@alt, .)) =
     normalize-space(
      concat(current()/@title, current()//@alt, current()))])"/>
</rule>

The case-insensitive version is:

<rule context="a|area">
  <report test="not((//a|//area)[@href != current()/@href and
     translate(normalize-space(concat(@title, .//@alt, .)),
      'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzáéíóúñ',
      'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÁÉÍÓÚÑ') =
     translate(normalize-space(
      concat(current()/@title, current()//@alt, current()),
      'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzáéíóúñ',
      'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÁÉÍÓÚÑ'))])"/>
</rule>

Vicente Luque Centeno
Dep. Ingeniería Telemática
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
http://www.it.uc3m.es/vlc

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Jim Thatcher wrote:

>> "Read more" following the opening sentences of an article satisfies 2.4.4
> -
>
> There is no way, in my opinion, that the link information in this (rather
> typical) example is "Programmatically associated" with that link. He said
> that having no definition of "Programmatically associated".
>

> If that is the intention of the SC (which I accept) then the wording must
> change.
>

> Jim
>

> Accessibility Consulting: http://jimthatcher.com/
>
> 512-306-0931