Re: Technique Designations

From: Lisa Seeman <lisa@ubaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 02:16:39 +0200
To: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> 1) Sufficient - Are the numbered techniques in the "techniques for
> addressing" section of each SC. If followed your content will meet SC. You
> may have to use more than one "sufficient" tech to meet SC. If not
> followed then you've got to use another technique (outside the listed
> techniques and not one of the "common failures") to meet SC.

This looks problematic to me. If some has solved the problem, but has not
done it in a way we thought of this would suggest that they are not good
enough (even if it works, right now, with assistive technology). That is
blocking the evolution of accessibility and the use of  new and better
techniques.
Further we have only created techniques in "critical " technologies - so if
a form is made accessible using XForms, or a graphic uses SVG with great
grouping and descriptions then according to this they have failed. Which is
a bit crazy ...