Preview - Last Call considerations

Hi WCAG WG,

These are some links & notes to accompany one of our agenda items today,
which is a quick preview & orientation on some Last Call considerations.

Also, if you look further down, you'll find a forward of my previous
"preview" message on Candidate Recommendation (CR), for your review, since
we'll be starting some CR implementation gathering activities as soon as we
enter Last Call.

Regards,

- Judy

 From the W3C Process Document:

7. W3C Technical Report Development Process
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#Reports

7.4.2 Last Call Announcement
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#last-call
This section of the Process Document describes:
- required announcements; deadlines; dependencies; solicited public review
- WG believes that it has satisfied technical requirements and dependencies
- WG should work w/ other WGs in advance of Last Call as needed
- statement of how this work relates to work/standards external to W3C

Steps for a Transition to Last Call Working Draft
http://www.w3.org/2005/08/transition?docstatus=lc-wd-tr
- if you're curious about some of the logistics for getting out a last call
- or have questions on timing or coordination

Last Call Considerations/Expectations:

- broad solicitation of public review
- expect discussion
- expect that people will need information/clarification of the nature of
W3C Last Call
- document all issues that come in
- document resolution of all issues, including closing the loop w/ commentors
- remember that we will be doubling up *gathering of implementations* for
early CR documentation
- will actually have a Web page to explain, gather & track this
- any potential "white-box" implementors, reminder to please ID your
interest to John and myself.

>Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:54:01 -0500
>To: WCAG WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
>From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
>Subject: Preview - Candidate Recommendation considerations
>
>Hi WCAG WG,
>
>These are some links & notes to accompany our first agenda item today,
>which is a quick preview & orientation to some of the candidate
>recommendation planning.
>
>Regards,
>
>- Judy
>
> From the W3C Process Document:
>
>7. W3C Technical Report Development Process
>http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#Reports
>
>7.1.2. Maturity Levels of the Recommendation Track
>http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#q74
>
>7.4 Advancing a Technical Report to a Recommendation
>http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#rec-advance
>
>7.4.3. Call for Implementations
>http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfi
>
>7.4.4. Call for Review of a Proposed Recommendation
>http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfr
>

>Candidate Recommendation (CR) Planning:
>
>- development of exit criteria; considerations in terms of diversity of
>sites; white box/black box, etc
>
>- development of plan for obtaining implementations to fulfill exit criteria
>
>- selection of teams/sites with which to coordinate
>
>- timing of implementation gathering -- overlap as much as possible w/
>upcoming Last Call
>
>- implementation teleconference(s)/virtual workshop(s)
>
>--
>Judy Brewer    +1.617.258.9741    http://www.w3.org/WAI
>Director, Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
>MIT/CSAIL Building 32-G530
>32 Vassar Street
>Cambridge, MA,  02139,  USA

MIT/CSAIL Building 32-G530