RE: multimedia definition

From: Robinson, Norman B - Washington, DC <Norman.B.Robinson@usps.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:04:07 -0500
To: "Andrew Kirkpatrick" <akirkpat@adobe.com>, "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Andrew Kirkpatrick said "I'd love to see the term 'multimedia' extracted
completely from this document.  It means too much and too little, and
given that the real issue is equivalents for specific, well-defined
media types, we should sharpen the focus on those media types instead of
trying to encompass everything under an umbrella term."

I'll second that motion.

Multimedia is a marketing term at best - I don't believe in it, other
than trying to determine if the term applies based on what was intended
and interpreted in certain standard.

There is simply 'media' and people who need access to it, regardless of
abilities. Keeping that idea in mind will make 'multimedia' a term used
to describe certain types of content, but we shouldn't tie access to
multimedia. It undermines our ability to clearly communicate
accessibility is required by media type and not only when it is called
"multimedia".

Regards,

Norman Robinson