Re: Intent of "programmatically determined"

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:17:51 +1100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 02:46:30PM -0600, John M Slatin wrote:

> I think we mean two things when we require that some aspect of content
> "can be programmatically determined":
> 1. that aspect of the content is exposed to assistive technology
> 2. assistive technology recognizes and reports the content correctly
Replace "assistive technology" with "user agents" in the above. Also, part 2
is the responsibility of the user agent developer; the author can't ensure
that the user agent recognizes it correctly but only that it is provided in a
form which user agents supporting technologies in the baseline can recognize.