Guidelines or Standards (was RE: Congratulations)

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:28:49 -0500
To: "Guide Lines list" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> 4. It's not our work to make a standard that can become a law.

I have read this before on the list, but I don't understand it.  Could someone please (again) explain?

> The law translation of a standard can have problems depending on many factors.

Sure, but that hardly justifies not taking into considering that WCAG may get adapted into law.  Why give up without trying?

> It's not our job, anyway.  We're not making laws.

But why use phrasing that is known to be problematic for regulatory language?  What is the advantage?  Is it not a significant disadvantage to write in such a way that WAI is essentially *requiring* others to re-word?  Is that not needlessly adding burden and risk?

My thanks in advance for the edification.