Re: R: Congratulations !!

Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG) wrote:

>    Maurizio Boscarol sent a Friday, November 25, 2005 7:03 AM message with
>    the topic "Re: R: Congratulations !!";
>
>    "We are doing technical requirements for products or processes, not
>    laws. Sad, but someone can't see the difference."
>
>Roberto:
>Yes, but don't cry like a crocodile if nobody apply wcag "as is" for national law.
>I want to remember that one of the scope for what WAI was financed by EU was to have appicable standards.

Are you pulling my leg? Admit it!.. Well, or you misunderstood me.

To be clear: I *never* wanted wcag be a law. You want, not me! :) I
couldn't cry for that, believe me. (1)

We don't even know how much effort is needed to be wcag compliant in
reality. A law must take in account the cost/benefit ratio. Tech
requirements don't always have to. They try to set standards. To follow
a standard a multi-part agreement is needed:

* Tools-makers (browsers, ua, at, cms, plugin, dev framework) should
accept to implement the proposed standard.
* Government should be sure that a standard can reasonably be followed
(at a reasonable cost, with reasonable effort, without bad
consequencies, etc) before to make a law forcing to that standard.

So the point is really more complex than just have a law forcing
somebody to do something. :) But we're going OT.

M.

(1) For what it deserve, I'd like people making more User Centred
Design. But I couldn't help a law forcing people doing usability
testing. I think this should be good, but forcing things that way
without considering applicability in real contexts is a bad idea even if
usability testing is good. Let's imagine valid code...