From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of David MacDonald
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 3:00 PM
To: 'Gregg Vanderheiden'; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: downloads - take 2

I find the definition of downloaded content a little cyclical...

"Note: If data, software or other materials are downloaded over the
    internet but are not rendered via a user agent then they are not
    considered Web content and are not covered by these guidelines."

The definition of a user agent is:

"Any software that retrieves and renders Web content for users. This may
include Web browsers, media players, plug-ins, and other programs -
including assistive technologies - that help in retrieving and rendering
Web content."

So if we put the 2 definitions together we get something like this:

"Downloaded content is not part of the web if it is not rendered in a
product that helps in retrieving and rendering web content..."

I don't know if that is a very succinct definition...

David MacDonald

.Access empowers people
            .barriers disable them.

 www.eramp.com

    The working group is considering adding the following note
    to the conformance section to differentiate Web Content from
standard
    stand alone software and other products that are downloaded over the

    Internet and not used via a user agent.

    "Note: If data, software or other materials are downloaded over the
    internet but are not rendered via a user agent then they are not
    considered Web content and are not covered by these guidelines."

Everyone please look at this for today.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.