Re: validity.htm

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:02:47 +0100 (MET)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> I think the most evident argument not to put validity at level 1 is the
> first: "Validity is not required for accesssibility. An accessible
> website can still contain invalid code".

Let's examine already accepted L1 criteria. Ain't it just consequent to
state that:

* An accessible website can still contain structures which cannot be
programmatically determined (GL 1.3).
* An accessible website can still contain text which is presented over a
background image or color, which itself cannot be programmatically
determined (GL 1.4).
* An accessible website can still contain content which is designed so that
time-outs are an essential part of interaction (GL 2.2).

And a 24 hour session time-out, for example, receives L1 status, while we
question the work of 192 approved W3C specifications, thereby undermining
any chance of doing our bit for future-proof guidelines.

Please convince me that my skepticism is inappropriate.

--
Jens Meiert
Information Architect

http://meiert.com/ < Reloaded