Re: Validity

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:46:35 -0500
To: "Johannes Koch" <koch@w3development.de>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> How do you want to do this? In HTML, these elements
> _do not have_ an end tag, in XHTML they _must_ be closed.

Yes. The people who worry that their open <br> tags would mean
non-conformance to WCAG 2 can validate against an HTML DTD and they will be
OK.

I'm suggesting that we can relax the DTD a bit more to include other common
mistakes that don't affect accessibility.

I believe the intent of the WCAG 2 guideline is that you must validate to
something. It doesn't have to be an XHTML standard. (Is that right?)

Cheers,
Chris