Captions and audio descriptions

From: Loretta Guarino Reid <lguarino@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 06:59:09 -0800
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Michael, Yvette, and I took an action item at the last teleconference to
propose "compromise" success criterion for captions and audio descriptions.

<proposal>

At level 1:
1. For prerecorded multimedia, one of the following is provided:
* captions, or
* text alternatives that convey the same information as the multimedia.

2. For prerecorded multimedia, one of the following is provided:
* audio descriptions, or
* text alternatives that convey the same information as the multimedia.

At level 2:
1. Captions are provided for multimedia.

2. Audio descriptions of video are provided for prerecorded multimedia.

</proposal>

Under this proposal, captions and audio descriptions are sufficient at
either level, but required at level 2. At level 1, a complete text
equivalent is a sufficient alternative to either captions or audio
descriptions.

Note that the text equivalent may need to be different from a transcription
of captions or audio description, since the author cannot assume that the
user is viewing the multimedia at the same time.

This proposal combines the success criteria for prerecorded and live
captions into a single success criteria at level 2. For clarity in
describing techniques, we may wish to continue to keep them separate.

Loretta