RE: Validity as a technique

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:16:26 -0500
To: "Yvette Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Yep.  I proposed to delete the requirement for validity
> from the guidelines and instead list it as a technique
> for the success criteria that deal with things that can
> be programmatically determined.

> What do you think about talking about validity in the
> techniques instead?

FWIW, this seems to me to be essentially were we are with validity and WCAG1.  That is, this proposal is far too weak.  But I suppose that depends what happens with Guideline 4.1: Use technologies according to specification.

> I agree with you that validity is a great factor in
> making sure things can be programmatically determined

Not merely a great factor, but explicitly necessary.

> which is why I want to include it in the techniques
> for all these success criteria.

That is not good enough.

> I don't see why it is necessary to put it in the
> guidelines as well.

Clearly, but you would be mistaken about that.

Yvette, do you imagine your proposal as being compatible with removing validity as a Level 2 (or 3) success criteria?