Re: Is validity the real issue?

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:23:06 +0000
To: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Cc: michele@diodati.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On 06/11/05, Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it> wrote:
At the moment, a lot of pages won't be rendered. So I can't understand
how this would help accessibility. At the opposite, I'm evaluating the
idea that wcag 2.0 should reccomend to use text/html mime type (and
backward compatibility guidelines of Apendix C) for any page whose you
are unsure you can grant the present and future validity. You should
only use application/xhtml+xml mime type when you're absolutely sure
that nothing can go wrong. That's rarely the case.

The MIME type given to XHTML documents is outside of WAI's remit. If
an XHTML document isn't rendered because it's not well-formed but
using the correct MIME type, no one gets the document. And no
developer is going to be happy with a document that no one can access,
so developers would certainly ensure they are free of errors.

Best regards,

Supplement your vitamins