Re: Validity

On 06/11/05, Matt May <mcmay@bestkungfu.com> wrote:
> Someone else within the last two weeks has outlined which
> components of validity directly affect interaction with assistive
> technology.

Do they have a supporting algorithm that demonstrates they are certain
they've caught every known combination of validity errors that could
result in an accessibility barrier, or are these just best guesses? A
single application could have test cases to which formal methods were
applied, such as black box or white box testing for each component,
but I don't see how every permutation of a validity error could be
tested - did this person provide that information? If so, given the
infinite permutations, how were the test cases generated?

> If this is an issue of access to AT, then the least restrictive
> means of meeting our goals is to require that those specific issues be
> resolved.

Today's AT? Tomorrow's AT? Are you aware of a restrictive model that
has a testing procedure that captures every conceivable validity error
for any AT? Whatever content we recommend people generate, it at least
needs to be unambiguously parsed by software. Most people on this list
recognise that validity errors can result in content being rendered by
mainstream browsers such as IE, but not being accessible to AT - the
problem is ensuring we cover all bases.

> Further, a case was made at the f2f that those specific issues
> _are_ covered by other guidelines.

Ignoring the transparency issues of a case made at a face-to-face that
members of the working group that were unable to attend couldn't
possible be aware of, did the case made cover the issues outlined
above?

Best regards,

Gez

--