RE: Validity

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:22:59 -0500
To: "Matt May" <mcmay@bestkungfu.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> I strongly object to and am personally offended by this statement.

Matt, please accept my most sincere and profound apologies.  I meant no offense.

I called you out by name because I have the deepest respect for your work and your ability to articulate your position.

Upon re-reading I can understand how you took offense.  I meant only that you are a good exemplar of a person who is committed to accessibility, one who strives hard everyday to make the web a better place for people with disabilities, and does so even as you must earn your livelihood and support your family doing this important work in a competitive marketplace.  But that was all just implied, and most subtle.

I do not presume that I have the ability to impinge your reputation (not that I would want to).  I did presume perhaps too much familiarity.  Since you are a relatively famous person in our tiny field, perhaps I feel I know you, even though I donít believe we have ever met.  I presumed that you understood that I attribute no malice to your motivation nor to the fact that we disagree on this point.  I should have been clearer about that.

I regret not explaining why I grouped you and Bob Regan together.  For the record, Bob is also someone for whom I have deep professional regard and respect.  Someone who also makes his living in the commercial business.  Someone who also happens to disagree with me on this particular point.  I am now crossing my fingers that I didnít also insult Bob in the same sentence.  Probably not, but that may only be because we had a long phone call yesterday on this topic.

Again, please forgive me.

Bruce