    Da: "Makoto UEKI  - Infoaxia, Inc. -"<ueki@infoaxia.co.jp>
    Inviato: 05/11/05 23.25.45
    A: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: Re: Practical reality

    Hello Roberto and everyone,

    Thanks again for your comments, Roberto. I understood the situation in
    Italy and your thoughts.

    My question was for not only captioning and audio description issues but
    also WCAG 2.0 as a whole. And my concern is if WCAG WG has reached
    consensus or not.

    Have the WCAG WG reached the consensus that WCAG 2.0 don't consider the
    "practical reality"? In other words, Will we just define what the
    accessible web content is in WCAG 2.0? I'd like to make sure if WCAG WG
    has consensus on this point.

    Cheers,
    Makoto

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:08:29 +0100
    "Roberto Ellero" <rellero@webaccessibile.org> wrote:

    > Makoto:
    > My point is that I'd like to know WCAG 2.0 need to consider the
    > "practical reality" or not. If not, it should be L1. If consider, it can
    > be L2. My decision on L1 or L2 depend on it.
    >
    > Ellero:
    > My comments and practical test on prerecorded multimedia were just to say
    > that captioning and audio descriptions for prerecorded components are, with
    > a few hours of training, easy and doable for everybody, so L1 for 1.2
    > SC1-SC2 is - in my experience - in your "CASE 2" (WCAG 2.0 consider the
    > "practical reality").
    >
    > Although "real time captioner" is already a real career [1], a technical
    > difficulty is rather in real-time captioning (L2), in fact in italian law
    > ("Stanca Act", Law n. 4, January 9, 2004 [2]) the applicability (Technical
    > Requirements) of multimedia accessibility distinguishes between prerecorded
    > and real time multimedia [3]:
    >
    > "Requirement No 18
    > Terms: Where a film or a multimedia presentation is essential for the
    > completeness of the information or service provided, provide a synchronised
    > equivalent textual alternative, in the form of sub-titles or an auditory
    > description, or provide a summary or simple label for each video or
    > multimedia elements, taking account of the degree of importance or
    > difficulty in the case of real-time transmission.
    > WCAG 1.0 References: 1.3, 1.4 - Sec. 508 References: 1194.22 (b)"
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Roberto Ellero
    >

    > 1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/jobs/microsites/steno/index.shtml
    >     http://www.bbc.co.uk/jobs/microsites/steno/day_in_the_life.shtml
    > 2. http://www.pubbliaccesso.it/normative/law_20040109_n4.htm
    > 3. http://www.pubbliaccesso.it/normative/DM080705-A-en.htm

[Messaggio troncato. Toccare Modifica->Segna per il download per recuperare la restante parte.]