      From: Ineke van der Maat [mailto:inekemaa@xs4all.nl]
      Sent: 05 November 2005 19:00
      To: Paul Walsh
      Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
      Subject: Re: Validity

      Hello Paul,

      You wrote today:
      >but I wouldn't like it to be
      > seen as a defacto checkpoint. I think it's great to help with
      > accessibility but it ends up on the bottom of my list if all
else equals
      > accessibility anyway.

      In my opinion is valid code not only important for accessibility
but for
      operability too. So i easily can use another (AT)-platform for
reading the
      same website when I need that.

      When one firm can not make flash with accessible code, we should
not permit
      this firm to use invalid code. So we open the gate for other firms
also to
      do. And when such firms will be taken over by Microsoft, the next
version of
      IE will probably require proprietary code. And what then?

      Of course a firm  can produce valid code for using flash or other
      applications and AT can be fixed for interpreting specifications
correctly.

      It is too crazy for words that a working group of W3C will not
require valid
      code according specifications of W3C. Why are specifications
really
      existing?

      greetings
      Ineke van der Maat