Re: GL3.1 L3 SC2 concern?

From: Makoto UEKI - Infoaxia, Inc. - <ueki@infoaxia.co.jp>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:57:14 +0900
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi John,

John wrote:
> I believe the JIS includes a guideline asking authors to avoid using
> words that are  likely to be unfamiliar to the intended audience; where
> such terms cannot be avoided, JIS asks for definitions.

Yes, you're right. We have the following guidelines in JIS X 8341-3.

JIS 5.9 b)
In Japanese pages, foreign terms that may not be understood by assumed
audience should not be used. When using such words, explanation shall be
provided when the word first appears on the page.

JIS 5.9 c)
Abbreviations, technical terms, words in vogue, slangs, etc. which may
not be understood by assumed audience should not be used. When such
words are used, they shall be defined at their first appearance in the
page.

> It's my understanding that JIS does not have the same requirements about
> testability that WCAG 2.0 has. Thus they can use terms like "intended
> audience," etc., in ways that we can't.

Yes, we don't have the same requirements about testability though we
tried to be testable. We raised some issues so that readers can
recognize more issues for the elderly people and people with
disabilities even if it cannot be testable strictly.

Cheers,
Makoto