RE: Validity

Hi there,

This is an old debate that we have had in detail before in multiple
working groups.

The point here is that there are times where we all assume the vendors
on all sides are working in perfect harmony with the specification, OS,
Tool maker and AT.

The specific reference here is related to use of <embed> with Flash.
Recently, there has been activity around creating code that embeds Flash
content in a page that follows standards. From a validity standpoint, it
works great. However, there is a negative consequence here, this valid
markup renders the Flash content inaccessible using that screen reader.
After a few chats with the AT maker, it is clear that a simple fix is
not forthcoming.

This creates a situation where the author must choose, accessibility
versus validity. From Macromedia's standpoint, it would be terrific if
the issue did not exist. However, it does.

It is interesting that Makoto raises the issue of practicality on the
same day that this old debate has resurfaced. This is precisely the
issue here. When we looked at this issue for the current release, I
advocated on behalf of the use of embed because to change our default
techniques would have a very negative consequence for people with
disabilities.

Cheers,
Bob

-