Abbreviations (was RE: Moving forwards)

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:09:01 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi Rob,

At 14:49 4/11/2005, Rob Haverty wrote:
My main concern with this particular success criteria is in understanding
exactly what is required.  Are you suggesting that all abbreviations
(including those that are common in practice and/or can be found in
dictionaries) be expanded?  And, are you defining abbreviation to include
acronyms as well?

There is no requirement that all abbreviations are expanded but that the
expanded form is available in the content or a referenced dictionary or

The term "abbreviation" has two meanings:
1. The shortened form of a word.
2. Shortened form of a word, phrase or name, i.e. a general category that
includes abbreviations (1), initialisms and acronyms.

The working group adopted the second meaning (see the Guide at

We also resolved to add somewhere (as a note to the success criterion, if I
remember correctly) that there are cases where an explanation is more
useful than the expanded form, especially when the expanded form is in
Latin or a foreign language.

Christophe Strobbe

Christophe Strobbe
Document Architectures