    Da: "Johannes Koch"<koch@w3development.de>
    Inviato: 04/11/05 9.58.20
    A: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: Re: Validity

    Gez Lemon wrote:
    > The arguments put forwards against validity (from the
    > face-to-face meeting in Seattle) can be summarised as:
    >
    > 1: Validity isn't essential for accessibility
    > 2: Some developers think they're being clever creating accessible
    > content, but they aren't
    > 3: The people who wrote the specification don't really want anyone to
    > be bothered by it
    > 4: Legislation could result in people being prosecuted for invalid markup

    Technically, conformance to specification is necessary for communication
    between information provider and consumer, and so is essential for
    consumers to be able to _access_ the information. Otherwise the consumer
    has to implement error recovery, heuristics, guesses, etc. Validity is
    one part of specification conformance. Another one (for markup) is this:
    Markup specifications use concepts like heading, list, table, etc. and
    define elements/attributes to transfer these concepts into markup code.
    If the information provider wants to use one of the concepts, he has to
    use the correct markup for this concept. OTOH, the information provider
    has to use specific markup only to describe concepts which the markup is
    intended for.

    One exception may be additional code that may be necessary to overcome
    problems that the specification authors were not aware of and so is not
    part of the spcification. In the case of markup, user agents should not
    be confused by this, because they are required to ignore it and try to
    process the child nodes. I think it's similar with "extensions" to CSS,
    as long as the syntax conforms to the grammar.

    --
    Johannes Koch
                                 (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

[Messaggio troncato. Toccare Modifica->Segna per il download per recuperare la restante parte.]