Subject:    Guide doc assignments
Date:    Oct 10, 2005 6:55 PM

Hi all - we had light attendance at the Team C call today. I hope getting the agenda
out late didn't contribute to that; it was a holiday in Canada so I didn't get to
work until just before the call.

We took the time on the call to assign each person on our team at least one success
criterion from Guideline 1.3 or 4.2 to prepare a draft guide doc. This assignment
was done in absentia for most of you, and I apologize for that, but it is very important
that we assign this and get material ready for the face to face meeting next week.
We tried to assign ones to each person that we thought they would have some interest
or expertise in.

The assignments are as follows:

Guideline 1.3

L1 SC 1: Andi
L1 SC 2: Katie
L2 SC 1: Sofia
L2 SC 2: Sofia
L3 SC 1: Takayuki

Guideline 4.2

L1 SC 1: Tim
L1 SC 2: Michael
L1 SC 3: Andi
L1 SC 4: Gian
L1 SC 5: Rob
L1 SC 6: Andi
L2 SC 1: Makoto
L3 SC 1: Michael

I know the time is tight, but please put together a draft guide doc for your SC
before the face to face meeting begins next week. We will not have another call
before then to discuss unfortunately. You are welcome to post your materials or
questions to the list if you would like to solicit feedback. It is understood that
these are drafts so they don't need to be perfect; the goal at the face to face
will be to prepare them for publication later in the month.

Those of you working on 1.3 can (and probably should) start with some materials
that were prepared earlier this year, at http://esw.w3.org/topic/ContentStructureSeparationProgrammatic.

You should be sure to go through the bugzilla issues and Andi's proposals for them
for Guideline 1.3 [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wcag-teamc/2005Oct/0021.html]
and Guideline 4.2 [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wcag-teamc/2005Oct/0017.html].
Feel free to discuss on list if needed.

If you would like to use the Wiki [http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Team_C]
to do your work, you are welcome to do so. It is not a requirement and if it will
slow you down, it might not be the way to go. If you would like to and need support,
let me know off list and I will help you.

Thanks in advance for your work and helping keep WCAG on track!

Michael

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/

Email and Notes I had written for the Guide Doc for Face 2 Face:

Email to Face 2 Face for Guide Doc for Guideline 1.3, Level 1, Success Criteria 2 (GL 1.3 L1 SC2):

Folks,

Sorry I am late here.

I did edit the WIKI document directly (entitled Guide to 1.3 L1 SC 2) at

http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Guide_to_1.3_L1_SC_2.

1.3 L1 SC2 (http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/#content-structure-separation-color) When information is conveyed

by color, the color can be programmatically determined or the information is also conveyed through another

means that does not depend on the user's ability to differentiate colors.

I reviewed and took comments and content from:

1. the current WCAG 20 draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/)

2. the Bugzilla pages for issues 1733, 1734, 1309, 1339, 796, 938, 1088 & 1350.

3. Results of Questionnaire Guides for Guideline 1.3 for success criteria. This questionnaire is open from

2005-10-14 to 2005-10-17. (http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/content-structure-separation-20051014/results).

4. Results of Questionnaire Guideline 1.3 Issues. This questionnaire was open from 2005-10-11 to 2005-10-13.
(http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/teamc-2_5/results).

5. Andi Snow-Weaver's "GL 1.3 Issues Summary" (of October 9th) at
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wcag-teamc/2005Oct/0021.html).

6.Becky Gibson's "GL 1.3 issue summary against June 30 draft" (of June 30th)
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2005AprJun/0995).

7. Ben Caldwell's "Guideline 1.3 SC" (of June 22nd)
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2005AprJun/0936)

8.
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20050211/#color)

9. CSS Techniques for WCAG 2.0 - 7.1 Specifying colors
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-CSS-TECHS-20050630/#css-colors)

BIG ISSUES:

1. "programmatically determined" must be defined at the Seattle Face 2 Face.

2. Possibly need to revise slightly the wording of this Success Criteria.

3. Because of the contention over the first part of this SC, I focused mostly on the second part "or the information is also conveyed through another means that does not depend on the user's ability to differentiate colors" of this SC.

EDITS:

I identified some possible Advisory techniques................

Optional Techniques (advisory) for 1.3 L1 SC2

General
Color used as redundant information is acceptable and encouraged.

CSS
For best user agent support use a numerical hex value to specify colors.
7.2 Specifying color values by hex value or color name

(http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-CSS-TECHS-20050630/#color-as-hex)

ADDED BUNCHES of BENEFITS:
(but the syntax/voice is wrong)

Benefits: How Guideline 1.3 L1 SC2 helps people with disabilities

1.User with visual disabilities
1.1 Users with partial sight often experience limited color vision
1.2 Users who are blind (using a text-only reader) and need to determine information based on color
1.3 Some older users may not be able to see color well
1.4 Users who have color-blindness

2. Users with hearing and visual disabilities
2.1 Users who are blind-deaf using Braille (text) refreshable displays may be unable to access color-dependent

information

3. People using text-only, limited color or monochrome displays may be unable to access color-dependent

information

4. Users with a handheld device which renders information but with no color context

5. People using text-only, limited color or monochrome browsers (user agents) may be unable to access

color-dependent information

6. When assistive technology can provide information about the color of an object, users can extrapolate the

information provided by the color.

KEY TERMS:
1. programmatically determined
BBC: This definition should include a concept of "supported" (which also needs a definition.)
KHS: Decided at October 13, 2005 WCAG 2 telecon that the term programmatically determined will be defined at the Seattle Face 2 Face and will deal with the proposed new wording of this term. This covers bugzilla issues 1309 and 1339.
2. Information is conveyed by color

CHANGED INTENT QUITE A BIT:
<was>
When color is essential to understanding an object, the requirement to ensure the color can be programatically

determined allows assistive technologies to inform the user about the color so they can access the information

conveyed by the color.
</was>

<proposed>
When color is essential to understanding an object, the requirement to ensure the color can be programatically

determined allows assistive technologies to inform the user about the color so they can access the information

conveyed by the color.

Color is an important asset in Web design, enhancing usability and aesthetic appeal. However, some users have

difficulty perceiving color. People with partial sight often experience limited color vision, and many older

users do not see color well. In addition, people using text-only, limited-color or monochrome displays and

browsers will be unable to access information that is presented only in color.

One solution is to include the information in the source document while setting presentation properties in a

style sheet. Another is to ensure that the information should be available in a form that does not depend on

the ability to perceive color.
</proposed>

please stop editing the wiki. we are editing it as part of our discussions
at the face-to-face.  edits should have been completed by last week.

if you have any questions, please let me know.

thank you,
--wendy