Glossary "non-text content" Small Nit

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:43:29 -0400
To: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Our glossary defines non-text content as "Content that is not represented by
a Unicode character or sequence of Unicode characters".

Images and other binary content are often converted to Unicode characters
for transmission over the Internet. It could be interpreted that images and
other binary content can be represented as Unicode characters which is not
the intent of our glossary term.

I suggest that we add the text "in its native format" to the glossary term
so it reads:

"Content that is not represented by a Unicode character or sequence of
Unicode characters in its native format."

There is a note in the Wiki stating:
It is possible to encrypt or encode any content including binary files using
Unicode characters but that would not "represent the content using Unicode
characters."

I think that the character encoded file does represent (stand for,
symbolize) the original file. If we add the "in its native format" text then
this note could be removed.

Cheers,
Chris