Re: proposed new definitions for abbreviation and acronym

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:54:26 +0100
To: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi John,

On 17/09/05, John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
To put it more briefly, then:
1. Would you support adding the word "initialism" to the success
criterion concerning acronyms
and abbreviations?

Defining initialisms would help developers make more informed
decisions as to which element would be the most appropriate.

2. What technique do you suggest we recommend to authors for identifying
initialisms?

If it's an initialism that can be pronounced, I would suggest the
initialism is marked up as an acronym for markup languages that
support the acronym element, otherwise I would suggest the initialism
is marked up using the abbr element for markup languages that support
abbr. Acronyms are a subset of initialisms, and initialisms are a
subset of abbreviations, so choosing abbr as an element could never be
wrong semantically.

Best regards,

Gez

--