RE: 2.2 L1 SC1 Timeout reworded

Gregg passed along the following as proposed wording for GL 2.2 L1 SC1:

Unless limits placed on the timing of user responses are essential to
maintaining the integrity of the task or activity or are based on real
life time constraints
(e.g. an auction), users should be able to adjust each content-specified
user response time parameter (i.e., timeout) in one or more of the
following ways:

I'm a little concerned  that readers will have to process two "unless"
clauses before they find out what they're supposed to do. The first
condition is quite long and the second contains a parenthetical
expression.

I'm not sure how to fix it.

It might also be a good idea to find simpler ways of saying
"content-specified  user response time parameter"" For example, the term
"time-out" could be used in the SC and linked to a Glossary definition
that says something like:
<dl>
<dt>Time-out</dt>
<dd>limit on the amount of time when the content allows users to
respond</dd>
</dl>

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to use "time limit" instead of
"time-out."  "Time-out" is technical jargon, whereas time limit might be
easier for readers who aren't Web developers to understand.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, fax 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
Web  <http://www.ital.utexas.edu/>
http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility

It says the same thing as ours but puts the exceptions up front rather
than as alternatives for timing adjusting

It looks like

Unless limits placed on the timing of user responses are essential to
maintaining the integrity of the task or activity or are based on real
life time constraints (e.g. an auction), users should be able to adjust
each content-specified user response time parameter (i.e., timeout) in
one or more of the following ways:

o        the user is allowed to deactivate the time-out or;

o        the user is allowed to adjust the time-out over a wide range
which is at least ten times the length of the default setting or;

o        the user is warned before time expires, allowed to extend the
time-out with a simple action (for example, "hit any key") and given at
least 20 seconds to respond

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
< <http://trace.wisc.edu/> http://trace.wisc.edu/> FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/