RE: Recommended practice for count images?

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:40:59 -0400
To: "Jens Meiert" <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, "W3C WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> What do we recommend as alternative text for count images?

Somewhat sadly, I remember this discussion from before UWSAG became WCAG.  The best anyone ever came up with was alt="Some bit mapped number."  The technology back then was a severe limiting factor.

> These images are 1x1 pixel wide, transparent images solely

Yes, I agree with others then, alt="" is completely appropriate.

It is remarkable to ponder how much progress we have made in seven or eight years.  :-)