Recommended practice for count images?

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:28:54 +0200 (MEST)
To: "W3C WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Quick reality check: What do we recommend as alternative text for count

These images are 1x1 pixel wide, transparent images solely used to track
page visits, for example. There are marketing relevant organizations (like
IVW [1]) as well as hundreds of reporting tools requiring such an image. And
technologically, it is necessary (server logs just cannot record all needed

Well, slap me if this has been subject to any discussion before - I cannot
remember any, and I see no cool advice anywhere -, but I urge us to
officially address this issue. From my point of view, both setting an empty
(gosh) as well as a filled "alt" attribute (but what text, and honestly,
there is no other image more irrelevant for an user) is "suboptimal".

Well, huh, what do you suggest?

Best regards,

[1] http://www.ivw.de/

Jens Meiert