Replace 'functionality' with 'function(s)'

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:38:43 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi,

Maybe this was already discussed before I joined the working group,
but I wonder why we don't replace "functionality" with "function" or
"functions"?
Functionality is defined as
   "capable of serving a purpose well" (WordNet 2.0)
or as
   "waffle for 'features' or 'function'. The capabilities or behaviours
   of a program, part of a program, or system, seen as the sum of its
   features." (FOLDOC).

I can't find any guideline or success criterion where this replacement
does not make sense, and the result is always more readable.
After all, we don't say: "If it walks like waterfowl and quacks like
waterfowl..." when we really mean a duck ;-)

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe