Re: Joe Clarks comments on TABINDEX from August 17

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:28:58 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Although I explained this at the Face to Face meeting, there is a
> fundamental accessibility problem with HTML. Only form and anchor elements
> can receive focus.

I know it's a problem.

> HTML makes it impossible for them to make these rich applications
> accessible.

Things will be somewhat different for XHTML due to the different
definitions of tabindex.

Cf. <http://www.juicystudio.com/article/ie-keyboard-navigation.php#comment1>

But only somewhat.

I am merely saying that the tabindex spec, which has lots of deficiencies,
should not have been busted so blithely. Essentially, the argument is that
two wrongs make a right.

If people are willing to put in all this effort to fix one problem
(arguably a small one), then why aren't you fixing all the other problems?
If you're making a new DTD for tabindex, why aren't you including embed in
it, or multiple instances of form labels? Why, in short, is your fix so
important?

Again, Cf. <http://blog.fawny.org/2005/08/22/tabindex/>.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org