From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Chris Ridpath
Sent: Thursday, 18 August 2005 11:16 PM
To: Joe Clark; WAI-GL
Subject: Re: [techs] test 178 was Table Summary Tests (111, 112, 113,
114, 203)

> ...alt="" is just fine if immediately-preceding
>  or -following text describes the image, for example.
>
> <http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/Chapter06.html#h2-4840>

This was discussed at length regarding test 178:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test178.html

The group decided that even in your example the image would require alt
text
that conveys the same information as the image.

All the tests are subject to revision but is anyone interested in
reopening
this discussion?

Chris