Re: R: NEW: Issue #1544

From: <lguarino@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:22:56 -0700
To: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

We seem to be getting baseline issues and validity issues entangled here.

Let us hypothesize a baseline that includes Flash. Today, that probably means an environment where all users
are guaranteed access to Window + IE +  JAWS or WindowEyes. If content in that environment makes Flash
accessible via use of the <embed> object, but otherwise satisfies all the WCAG success criteria, should the
content be judged not in compliance with WCAG 2 because it does not validate?

If a baseline doesn't include Flash, perhaps because the audience is using non-Windows platforms, then
alternative content is clearly required for the Flash content.

Loretta