Re: Tests 186, 187, 188, 189,

From: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:02:14 +0200

Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:

>  LABEL must not contain INPUT.
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test186.html>
>
> I wholeheartedly disagree with this.  This is valid HTML/XHTML and I
> have yet to find an issue with any of the user agents so long as the
> for/id attributes are also used, as they should be. On many forms this
> is in fact desireable since the label element takes CSS styling nicely
> so that a developer can put label {display:block;} into the CSS and have
> a very clean, neat, valid HTML file that works well with user agents
> also.  I don't think that a valid practice should be prohibited.

Although it is valid, I think it's semantically questionable. From a
markup perspective, the contents of an element are part of the element.
A text or an image that appear in an h1 element make up a level 1
headline. So a form control descendant of a label element would be
considered part of the label. Hmm. But this is not an accessibility issue.
--
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)