Re: Tests 186, 187, 188, 189,

Hi Lisa,

At 17:45 10/08/2005, Lisa Seeman wrote:
>Basic question.Can we use labels to associate informations such as
>required or extra help or notes that are specifically  about a form control

In my opinion, that would stretch the definition of "label"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL):

   "Some form controls automatically have labels associated with them
(press buttons)
   while most do not (text fields, checkboxes and radio buttons, and menus).
   For those controls that have implicit labels, user agents should use the
value
   of the value attribute as the label string.
   The
<http://localhost/www/www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL>LABEL
element is used to specify labels for controls that do not have implicit
   labels;"

Although somewhat lower, the specification says:

   "The LABEL element may be used to attach information to controls."

"Information" is rather vague.

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--