Balancing the myth-busting.

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 03:46:09 +0200 (CEST)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

 With all the current myth-nomers and im-pervections going around
 regarding automated testing - both by the GAWDS and Juicy Studio - I
 thought it a good time to mention another article:

    http://www.greytower.co.uk/archive/articles/user-testing.html

 which attempt to look at the issues objectively, and perhaps achieve a
 balance between the various points of view.

 In passing I find it interesting to note this from the Juicy
 Studio article:

  "This document declares a DOCTYPE of HTML 4.01 Strict, which does
   not support the target attribute on links. The following link has
   a target attribute that has been added through DOM injection ... "

 And the validator finds no errors on the page, since the validator
 does not support Javascript - naturally - and hence see the *original*,
 target-less, source.

 Making a case against automated testing while using the tools
 incorrectly is an interesting practice.

 Given time, we'll have a closer look at Juicy Studios test documents,
 and run them through our own siteSifter system. I'm fairly certain that
 it will prove interesting.

   [+46] 0708 557 905