From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Joe Clark
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 3:10 PM
To: WAI-GL
Subject: Re: Exploding the myth of automated accessibility checking

>> It's quite a devastating analysis and calls into question the WCAG
>> Working Group's interest in making as many guidelines as possible
>> machine-checkable.
>
> I thought the requirement was to make guidelines testable, not
> machine- checkable.

The Working Group is resistant to guidelines that require human checking,
e.g., document semantics. In fact, a co-chair simply dismissed the consensus
of leading outside experts-- which is typical behaviour for this Working
Group, but if that's the way you look at human-testable factors, of course
I'm going to assume you'd really prefer to make "as many guidelines as
possible machine-checkable."

If I'm wrong about that, let's turn it around. Would you mind terribly if I
worked on making as many guidelines as possible human-checkable? How about
100%?

You wouldn't have a maker of testing software at such a high level in this
group if it were just another expendable thing you really didn't care much
about one way or another.

Let us get real here, please.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org