Re: WCAG review 1 - making content clear and futtcher proofing

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:33:47 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Programmatically determined means that the specific value can be
> determined in a standard, machine or software readable form.
[...]

> Proposal : Can we add a success criteria to 3.1 that: Relative
> importance of sections of the content can be programmatically
> determined?

Which (X)HTML elements *in use today* would unambiguously provide that
programmatic determination? (Do not respond that WCAG2 must be
technology-neutral; if you can't make a guideline work today, your
guideline *doesn't work*.)

> Issue 4: Re: A mechanism is available for identifying specific
> definitions of words used in an unusual or restricted way, including
> idioms and jargon. [I]
>
> Lisa: I would add the word confusing so that it reads "words used in an
> unusual, confusing or restricted way"

Guidelines requiring definitions must be eliminated. They aren't the
author's responsibility. You got a problem with a word, *you* look it up.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
       --This.