Re: Words in place of optional

At 12:11 PM 7/27/2005, Lisa Seeman wrote:

>I am a bit concerned with using the word optional for techniques that do
>not map to  success criteria.
>
>Some techniques are less important and hence can be marked as optional.
>However a lot of important techniques for the accessibility of the content
>do not map to success criteria  because they are hard to test etc...
>
>I think labeling them optional makes important techniques sound
>unimportant . I would prefer a term such as preferred , encouraged or
>advanced techniques.

I understand your concern, however, *everything* is important for
accessibility - this is why we've defined the levels as we have. We have
specifically chosen not to reuse the priority definitions from WCAG 1.0
because they ranked checkpoints in terms of "importance."

The proposal discussed in today's techniques teleconference was that some
techniques are sufficient to meet success criteria - meaning that if you
follow this technique it should be enough to meet a success
criterion.  Other techniques are "optional" because following them is not
sufficient for meeting conformance.  If you choose to implement an optional
technique it is because you want to do something extra and that it will not
likely effect conformance.  It is not a matter of importance. We are trying
to clearly indicate what is sufficient to conform to the guidelines.

I can hear you saying, "well if it's extra and not required for conformance
it's not important."  Unfortunately, some people will interpret it that
way, but the only way to overcome that is to put everything at level 1 and
now I can hear a whole host of other voices saying, "no."  So, we must find
a compromise.  I believe that today's proposal is the closest we will get.
If you have another proposal that addresses these issues, I'm happy to
listen, but over the last 7 years I haven't heard anything better.

Best,
--w