Re: issue for CSUN

David MacDonald writes:
 > A big question to resolve at CSUN could be:
 >

 >  if UAAG is to be the baseline, are we just putting a big "until user
 > agents" clause around the whole document.

No, we aren't. This proposal is the exact opposite: we would be
ensuring that all of the information which would otherwise appear in
"until user agents" exceptions is moved outside of the guidelines
proper.

The guidelines themselves would specify the conditions to be met by
Web content, under the assumption that user agents conform to a
specified level of UAAG; the "bridging" or "repair" strategies, not
included in the guidelines themselves, would then compensate for the
shortfalls of user agents in practice. These could be updated as
required, and could be included in the techniques.

All aspects of this proposal are controversial. My own view is that to
obtain a stable, lasting specification, we will somehow have to
separate those aspects which are subject to change as user agents
develop, from those requirements which we expect to last for the
lifetime of the document.