Re: [techs] Review of tests 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 - Header nesting

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:03:01 -0500
To: "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>, "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi Joe,

The header nesting you mentioned is OK according to the proposed tests:

37 The header following an h1 is h1 or h2.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test37.html

38 The header following an h2 is h3 or any header less than h3.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test38.html

39 The header following an h3 is h4 or any header less than h4.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test39.html

40 The header following an h4 is h5 or any header less than h5.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test40.html

(I think the original post was referring to a very early form of these tests
that was incomplete.)

However, we're not sure if these tests are really worthwhile and we've left
the status as 'pending'. The conventional wisdom was that you shouldn't skip
when increasing header level (h1 - h2 is good, h1 - h3 is bad). Here's Eric
Meyer's article that gives a good argument for allowing skipping levels:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2004/07/21/pick-a-heading/

What's your take?

Chris

Header nesting mentioned in Joe's message: