From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com
Sent: February 15, 2005 1:57 PM
To: WCAG
Subject: Re: [techs] Review of tests 97, 109

In his review of tests #97 an #109 Michael Cooper proposed:
>[ACCEPT] Test 97 [4] Document must be readable when stylesheets are not applied.
>[ACCEPT] Test 109 [5] Document must be readable when stylesheets are not applied.
>[NEW] test for STYLE element

First, I don't think it is practical to run test 109 manually.   It would be nearly impossible for a author to find every instance of a style attribute on the page and to remove it for testing.  Perhaps this is easier with automated testing tools.

Also, the HTML technique associated with these tests,  CSS Fallback [1],  is associated with Guideline 2.4 Level 3 success criteria #1 while the tests are associated with Guideline 1.3 and no success criteria are identified.  While the Guideline 1.3 success criteria for color apply to these tests, I don't think that the tests belong under Guideline 1.3.

I think the issues of stylesheets needs further discussion.  In many ways the use of CSS is tied together with JavaScript to create dynamic web applications.  If stylesheets are removed, the page may still be readable but the application may not function properly.  Consider a keyboard accessible menu that uses styles to show focus when the user arrows to a particular menu item.  If the styles are removed, the user has no indication that the item has received focus and the menu is not usable.