RE: Conformance Level Clarification

Chris wrote:
Currently, each success criteria does *not* have 3 levels of
conformance. To conform to a success criteria the author must meet the
success criteria. There's no room for going below or above what's
defined in the SC - there's no levels at the technology specific layer.
I'm suggesting that we allow for 3 levels per success criteria.

It's true that there are no *levels* for individual success criteria.
Rather, each *guideline* is supported by success criteria, and the
success criteria for each guideline are grouped under three possible
conformance levels.

At the top of the hierarchy in the Guidelines document there are four
Principles: Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, and Robust.

Under each of the Principles there are one or more Guidelines.

Under each Guideline there are three Levels.

At each Level there are 0 or more Success Criteria.

So a success criterion doesn't have levels.  The guidelines have levels,
and the success criteria live at those levels.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute