RE: Conformance Level Clarification

From: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:49:40 -0600
To: "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I wrote:
> I don't agree, Chris.   I would say that alt text for a graphical link
> conforms at level 2 if it satisfis both 1.1 L1 SC1 *and* 3.2 L2 SC2.

OK, now I see your point. Thanks for the clarification. But you're using
2 SC to make the example conform at 2 levels. To make it conform at all
3 levels you'd have to create another SC in the other level. You're not
suggesting that all SC should be written at all 3 levels are you?

No, I'm not.  But I think there's one further thing that might clarify
things here.

I don't think we would say that *alt text* "conforms at level 1" or
level 2 or level 3.  We would say that the *delivery unit* conforms at
level 1 if all level 1 success criteria are satisfied, including the
level 1 success criteria for text alternatives if the delivery unit
includes non-text content.

The delivery unit would conform at level 2 only if all level 1 *and* all
level 2 success criteria are satisfied.

In other words, the granularity is somewhat different. Conformance
happens at the level of the delivery unit, not the level of a particular
element.

John

Did you see any problem with moving the conformance level down to the
technology specific layer?

Chris