[techs] Form label technique proposals

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:18:43 -0500
To: "WAI GL \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

In the 02 February 2005 teleconference [1] we made some decisions about form labels. These relate to issue 243, 273, 1311, and 1248 [2]. I propose the following changes to HTML techniques:

* Add a note to "Explicit Form Labels" [3] that this is the preferred mechanism to label form controls.
* Add a note to "Explicit Form Labels" [3] that multiple controls labelled in this way are permitted.
* Move "Implicit labels for form controls (deprecated)" [4] to the Fallback Techniques section [5]. This technique says not to use the "implicit label syntax" because some user agents don't support it, but the anticipation is in the future they will.
* Add a note to "Label form controls with the title attribute" [6] that this is permitted but should be used only when it is not possible to provide an explicit label.

I will make these changes unless somebody screams.

Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/02/02-wai-wcag-minutes.html
[2] http://trace.wisc.edu/bugzilla_wcag/buglist.cgi?bug_id=243%2C273%2C1311%2C1248&bugidtype=include&order=bugs.bug_id
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#label
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#label-implicit
[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#fallback-techniques
[6] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#label-title

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/